Monday, March 27

Loving the Brothers by Pamela R. Haynes

 

Hello my lovely readers!

So...I have this skill. Call it a "psychic" skill, if you will. This skill only applies to books, but I can ALWAYS tells if I'm going to like a book or not before I even open it.

When I picked this book out of my "vase of books," I knew...I just knew I would not like it and it would be a DNF. Let's get into it.

SUMMARY
Loving the Brothers by Pamela R. Haynes tells the stories of three different women all connected by the three men they are dating, the Morgan brothers.

Patti is a single mom and senior probation officer trying to get her teenage daughter off to university. Charmaine is a mom of twin toddlers  and in an abusive relationship. Rose is the first lady of her church and mother of five daughters, leaving her with no freedom.

The Morgan brothers are from a close-knit Jamaican family and they don't make life easy for these three women. Together, these three women meet and plan to escape their abusive relationships.

MY THOUGHTS
I forced myself to get to page 50 before I decided to DNF. Honestly, I knew at page 1 that this book was not going to be it for me.

It's obvious that the author is NOT a writer. There were so many exclamation points, so many grammatical errors (how did this get published by a publishing company!?) and the writing was extremely pedestrian. May I rant for just a moment? Thanks.

I enjoy simple writing, but there's a difference between simple writing and pedestrian writing.

Simple writing:  "The emerald green grass shone with morning dew under the early morning sun." 

Pedestrian writing: "The grass is green. It looks nice in the morning, but it's all wet."

See the difference? One sounds elementary and the other paints a picture without overdoing it.

This book was nothing but elementary, pedestrian writing. And if you know me, writing is the most important thing to me in a book. Some people can bypass the writing for an interesting plot, but that will never be me.

The plot had potential. I found it very interesting that three brothers are menaces to three different women and that they have to navigate their relationships with them. Honestly, if the writing was better, I would've enjoyed the book. But I just couldn't get through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment