Thursday, March 9

My Life: A Spoken Autobiography by Fidel Castro and Ignacio Ramonet

 

Hello my lovely readers!

I FINALLY finished this behemoth of a book. It only took me 6 years! I started it in 2017 either before or after I went to Cuba because I didn't know a single, solitary thing about Fidel Castro, other than he evokes strong opinions from people.

I just had to be in the right mindset to read this book because if you know me, then you know military history and wars are an automatic snooze for me. I managed to finally finish though, so here we go!

SUMMARY
Based on more than 100 hours of interviews with Fidel Castro conducted in the span of three years, My Life by Fidel Castro covers all aspects of his life. It's the closest to a memoir we'll ever get from the Cuban leader.

Castro  speaks with raw frankness with Ignacio Ramonet about the events of his life and the legacy he hopes to leave behind.

MY THOUGHTS
Reading this with absolutely no knowledge about Castro was honestly a treat. He was a very intelligent man who really believed in the betterment of his country and wasn't afraid to stand up to anyone who tried to run his country (ahem, the U.S.). I appreciate his love for his country and how everything is Cuban made.

Now, how he went about it....that's what I think is the issue most people have with him. I can appreciate his love for Cuba and the Cuban people, but how he went about certain things and the decisions that he made that caused so many people to flee and never return....oof. 

This was a great book and the question/answer format was great. However, it did paint him in the most angelic light. I look forward to reading the biography on Castro to get a more unbiased view.

No comments:

Post a Comment