Saturday, April 29

The House in the Pines by Ana Reyes

 

Hello my lovely readers!

This was another audiobook exclusive for me after finishing The Mother Next Door. I was looking for something in the same vein and the plot for this book seemed interesting. But woof. I was sorely disappointed. Let's just....get this over with.

SUMMARY
Maya was a senior in high school when her best friend, Aubrey, mysteriously dropped dead in front of the man Frank whom they'd been spending time with all summers.

Then, seven years later, Maya, who now lives in Boston with her boyfriend, sees the same thing happen on Youtube. A young woman dies in a diner sitting across from Frank.

Plagued with a secret addiction, Maya is now plunged into the trauma that defined her life all over again. She returns to her hometown to relive that fateful summer. At her mother's house, she excavates fragments of her past, but all roads lead back to Frank's cabin.

MY THOUGHTS
What was this mess? I'm going to be honest, I DNF'd this after the first chapter. I'm not going to apologize for it either! The FIRST CHAPTER was a convoluted hot pile of garbage. 

I understand that Maya was dealing with an addiction but all the pill-popping and drug-fueled haze made it impossible to even know what was going on in this book. I'm not alone in this thinking either. Several other reviewers felt this book was poorly written and poorly executed. Life is too short to read bad books. The premise was great, but the execution was terrible. Shame.


No comments:

Post a Comment