Monday, April 24

Waiting to Exhale by Terry McMillan

 

Hello my lovely readers!

I'll admit, I've never read a Terry McMillan book, nor did I have an interest in reading any of them. I did watch the movies though! Last week, in advance of Library Week, I found that my local library would have an event where she would be speaking, so I thought I'd finally pick up one of her books and read it before I meet her! Let's see what all the fuss is about....

SUMMARY
Four Black women lean on each other while "waiting to exhale." They're all waiting for that man who will take their breath away.

Savannah, is a successful television producer who believes that one day, her married lover will leave his wife for her. However, when she realizes he won't, she's tasked with finding a man of her own who will love her for who she truly is.

Bernadine,  abandoned her career to support her husband and raise a family. Then he tells her he's leaving her for a white woman he works with sending Bernadine into an emotional tailspin.

Robin, is a high-powered executive and the long-term mistress of her married lover. Once she dumps him, she finds dating extremely difficult.

Gloria is a single mother after finding out that her ex-husband is gay. She's working hard to figure things out on her own and things begin to look up when she falls in love with her new neighbor.

MY THOUGHTS
This novel was fine. It made me laugh out loud numerous times  due to how crass the girls were with each other and in describing their love lives. However, these women were all birds, in my opinion. They weren't really all that likeable, but they were real characters. This novel was something you can get through quickly enough to pass the time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment