Saturday, May 6

When the Reckoning Comes by LaTanya McQueen

 

Hello my lovely readers!

My reading slump is no more and I've been reading, reading reading! Also, I finally put together two really great short story ideas that I want to start writing, so I'm excited! Stay tuned for The Wives and The Mommy Group. 

Until those are finished, let's get into a good thriller by a Black author....FINALLY.

SUMMARY 
Mira fled her small, segregated hometown in North Carolina to forget. A little over a decade later, it's time for her to return.

Her best friend Celine is getting married and she wants Mira and Jesse to be there on her special day. The three have a lot of history together. Celine was mocked by their town for being the only white girl with Black friends. Jesse--the boy Mira secretly loved--was almost arrested for murder on a terrible day when the two explored the eerie Woodsman plantation, rumored to be haunted by the spirits of slaves.

But now, Celine is having her wedding at that same plantation, which is now a lush vacation resort. Yet as the weekend unfolds, Mira, Jesse and Celine are forced to acknowledge their history together and save themselves from what is to come.


MY THOUGHTS
This is the gothic, horror novel that I didn't know I needed.

The premise sounded promising enough, but LaTanya McQueen's writing really knocked it out of the park.  I loved that she also got to the point with everything. Some novels drag on for SO LONG and info dump everything on the reader, but she got to the point and kept me engaged.

It's the book I've always wanted to write...a book about the ghosts of slaves haunting people and what happens on a plantation when it gets turned into a tourist attraction, or worse yet, a wedding destination. 

I've always wondered about the spirits of those who died on a plantation; the many slave cemeteries that are forgotten and built over...how people can celebrate on a land that caused so much trauma and pain to an entire race of people.  I got my answer with McQueen's first novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment