Tuesday, October 24

A Burning by Megha Majumdar

 

Hello my lovely readers!

Since I started reading again, I haven't been too impressed with my selections. A Burning by Megha Majumdar was no exception even though the plot seemed so good! Let's get into it.

SYNOPSIS
Jivan is a Muslim girl from the slums, determined to move up in life, who is accused of executing a terrorist attack on a train because of a careless comment on Facebook. PT Sir is an opportunistic gym teacher who hitches his aspirations to a right-wing political party, and finds that his own ascent becomes linked to Jivan's fall. Lovely--an irresistible outcast--has the alibi that can set Jivan free, but it will cost her everything she holds dear.

These three characters find their lives entangled in the wake of a catastrophe in contemporary India and examine what it feels like to face profound obstacles and yet nurture big dreams in a country spinning toward extremism. 
MY THOUGHTS
Sigh.

While reading this book I had to keep going back to the plot summary to make sure that I was reading the correct book.

This book was completely lifeless. Was it hyped because it was talking about terrorism, politics, religion and India? Maybe. I felt that those topics weren't really shocking in the way it was presented.

The writing fell flat, the characters were dry, the plot was sloppy. I just couldn't get into it and it's a shame because the book had the potential (well at least from the plot) to be very interesting.

I ended up having to DNF it a little over 50% through the book. It felt like an absolute struggle to finish each page. Hopefully the next book I read will be better!

No comments:

Post a Comment