Tuesday, July 26

Salaam, Love: American Muslim Men on Love, Sex and Intimacy by Ayesha Mattu and Nura Maznavi

 

Hello my lovely readers!

I actually finished this book last week, but was so busy with traveling and working that I didn't get a chance to write a review on it.

Let's just jump into it shall we?

BACKGROUND
Here's a quick story on how I came across this book.

I was in Boston with my fiancé visiting his sister and brother-in-law last year. I was extremely nervous as this was my first time meeting them in-person, but it all went well. They live in Boston and his sister at the time was in medical school (she's now graduated and in residency, woohoo!) 

Anyway, they know how much I love books and so we went to the Harvard Book Store one day while my fiancé at a pub watching an Arsenal game. Left to our own devices, I ended up buying 8 books! It's not really my fault though. My fiancé left me in the hands of his sister and brother-in-law, both of whom are HUGE enablers of my book buying habit. So, it's totally his fault. 😉

While I was perusing the used book portion of the store downstairs, I came across Salaam, Love. I had read its predecessor Love, Inshallah: The Secret Love Lives of American Muslim Women and I absolutely loved it. I had no idea there was a "sequel" to it so of course I picked it up.

SUMMARY
Salaam, Love is an anthology of 22 Muslim men and their thoughts on relationships, love, sex and intimacy.  Stories spoke about how they experienced heartbreak, loss, religious barriers, success in love and so much more. Editors Ayesha Mattu and Nura Maznavi truly provided a space for these men to speak openly about their romantic lives. 

MY THOUGHTS
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I've always been very interested in sex and love and I enjoy reading about it from different perspectives and cultures, so this book was right up my alley. The book was divided into three sections: Umma: It Takes a Village was about the roles in which family and friends play in the search for love and marriage. Sirat: The Journey was all about self-reflection and each writer's experience with romantic love and spiritual love. Sabr: In Sickness and in Health showed the heartbreak that love can bring when it comes to health and well-being.

I knew a bit about Islam but I didn't know how it really shapes not just faith and cultural norms for Muslims. I walked away with a greater understanding and respect for it. Some areas I didn't agree with but as a Christian, of course you're going to have some differing thoughts! Great book.

No comments:

Post a Comment