Thursday, August 4

Color of Justice by Gary Hardwick

 

Hello my lovely readers and HAPPY AUGUST!

So after reviewing this book on my Goodreads account and giving it three stars, I feel like I have a less than stellar review to give it now that I've had time to marinate on it. Here we go!

SUMMARY
Danny Kavanaugh is a white Irish Catholic detective who works in Detroit. He's dating a Black woman named Vinny and everyone says he acts like a Black man. However, when several affluent Black people are murdered, he learns first-hand how powerful and deadly the color line in the Black community truly is.

MY THOUGHTS
So, I thought the characters were well-written for the most part, but I felt like there was a lot of fluff to pad the book. The plot with the murderous brothers didn't add anything to the story in my opinion, but they were all very well-written scenes.

I also don't understand why the author had to keep reinforcing the fact that Danny was a white man who had the "attitude of a Black man." It seemed like it was mentioned it three times each chapter and for what? I guess to show that he's down with the Black community but doesn't really understand it?

Finally, the ending with the Stallworths was disappointing. I ended up skimming the last 100 pages and ugh. The motive behind the murders should've been sprinkled throughout the book and there should've been more of the Stallworths throughout the book. Not to the point that it would've been obvious, but more than the few scenes they were given in a 260 plus paged book. 

The writing was good and the characters were well-developed and it was an easy read, but I was left disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment