Sunday, January 8

Kindred by Octavia Butler

 

Hello my lovely readers!

I have a secret to share...I've never read an Octavia Butler book. 

I know...throw your tomatoes at me now.

Also, aside from Animorphs, I've never read any kind of fantasy or science fiction book as an adult. It's just not my jam. But, I've always said that if a book has an interesting plot, I'm more than willing to check it out...and that's exactly what I did with this book. Let's get into it!

SUMMARY
It's 1976 and Dana is a newlywed celebrating her 26th birthday in her home in California. Then, all of the sudden she's snatched back in time and ends up in antebellum Maryland. How and why did she get here?

Dana ends up rescuing a white boy named Rufus, who turns out to be one of her ancestors. Their two lives continue to intertwine the more times she's called back to save him from any danger. However, the more she is involuntarily brought back to these slave quarters, the longer she stays, not knowing when or if she'll ever return back home. 
MY THOUGHTS
This book was absolutely fascinating. When I read the summary, I thought it sounded very interesting and as realistic as you could get for a sci-fi novel. 

Quite often, I think if I  (or any other Black American)  could ever handle being a slave or living during Jim Crow. Butler's book answers that question for me. It was a great paced book and I could not put it down. 

This book really resonated with me as I'm in the process of researching my genealogy and I'm currently in the 1800s. Butler's book is still so fresh and timely in 2023.

No comments:

Post a Comment