Monday, January 9

Wild Women and the Blues by Denny S. Bryce

 

Hello my lovely readers!

Sigh.

This book....let's just get this over with.

SUMMARY
In 1925 Chicago, The Dreamland Cafe is the ritziest Black club in town. Celebrities like Louis Armstrong and Oscar Micheaux stop through and the young Honoree Dalcour works there as a dancer with dreams to making her way to the top. But Chicago is also awash in bootleg whiskey, gambling and gangsters making it risky for an ambitious young woman to dare to dream.

Now, it's 2015 and 110-year-old Honoree is visited by film student Sawyer Hayes who is looking to speak with her to finish his thesis about the only living link to Oscar Micheaux.

Together, they discover each other's pasts and secrets and it's more than what either of them bargained for.

MY THOUGHTS
I'm sorry but this was a disjointed mess. I ended up DNFing it. The crazy thing is, I knew I would because the plot didn't really move me. I felt no real connection with it. I was right. 

I didn't like the writing and it was just too all over the place for me. Oh well. Here' to better reading selections for the rest of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment