Thursday, May 25

Daughter in Exile by Bisi Adjapon

 

Hello my lovely readers!

I saw this book a lot on Bookstagram and after reading the synopsis, I thought I'd be an interesting read. It definitely was because poor Lola was going through it! Let's get into it.

SUMMARY
21-year-old Lola is living the life in Senegal. She's a university graduate, an aspiring writer, she has a great job and a vibrant social life. The world is her oyster. But her life gets turned upside down when she falls in love with U.S. Marine, Armand. She ends up pregnant and is on her way to America to live her American dream with Armand, much to the dismay of her mother.

However, once she's on U.S. soil, everything begins to fall apart. Now an undocumented immigrant, Lola will stop at nothing to succeed even with all the obstacles she faces.

MY THOUGHTS
Lola, Lola, Lola! Girl. I really felt for her throughout this entire novel. She kept facing so many issues that I honestly thought the author hated her.

This was my first modern novel by an African writer and I really enjoyed it. It showed the hardships  undocumented immigrants and how they deal with them. I'm glad Lola overcame everything in the end. Finally.

No comments:

Post a Comment