Sunday, May 28

The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson

 

Hello my lovely readers!

This is my THIRD 500+ page book that I read for the Mega May challenge and I'm so glad I picked it! All the books I've read lately are all somehow interconnected. I just finished The Defender and this book mentions the famed Black newspaper so many times. It was great to be "in the loop." Let's get into it!

SUMMARY
From 1915 to 1970, six million Black Americans moved from the South to the North for the chance at a better life where they would be treated equal to their white brethren. It was called "The Great Migration."

We follow the journeys of three unique people: Ida Mae Gladney, who in 1937 left sharecropping and prejudice in Mississippi for Chicago; George Starling, who fled Florida for Harlem in 1945; and Robert Foster who left Louisiana in 1953 to pursue a medical career and ended up in California.

Author Isabel Wilkerson interviewed over a thousand people and with stunning historical detail, brilliantly captures their first treacherous and exhausting cross-country trips by car and train and their new lives in their new cities they'd soon call home.

MY THOUGHTS
This was a powerful book. It read like an informative novel. My words simply cannot capture the beauty, the emotions and the brilliance of this book and how I felt while reading this book.

I was rooting for everyone. I was rooting for Ida, Robert and George as they struggled to get North, married, had children and dealt with employment issues.  Through their tragedies and triumphs, these three people persisted and left such a beautiful legacy.

This book will stay with me forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment