Tuesday, June 20

The Confessions of Frannie Langton by Sara Collins


 Hello my lovely readers!

Sigh. Alright, I'm making a bold declaration, but I just can't take it anymore. I'm not reading anymore modern fiction by Black female authors unless it's by Dorothy Koomson. I know, I know it's a bold statement, but it's like I'm reading the EXACT SAME THING in each book regardless of plot, regardless of genre, regardless of author. This was another failure. Let's get into it.

SUMMARY
A slave woman is accused of murdering her employer and his wife in Georgian London.

The whole city is abuzz at the loss of renowned scientist George Benham and his eccentrict French wife, Marguerite. Crowds pack the courtroom, newspapers print lurid theories and the testimonies against servant and former slave, Frannie Langton, are damning.

Frannie can't recall what happened that fateful evening, but she does have a story to tell about her childhood on a Jamaican plantation, her apprenticeship under a debauched scientist and a passionate and forbidden relationship.

MY THOUGHTS
I tried. I really did try with this book, because it sounded so interesting! But I was 37% through this book and I had to give up. I had no idea what was going on, whose perspective the book was from or why any of it mattered.

This was just a boring book. I was expecting a murder-mystery but all I got was an LGBT love story. I didn't care about Frannie or what happened to her. I just had to let it go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment