Sunday, July 2

Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

 

Hello my lovely readers!

I first saw the Spanish version of this book when I was on my first solo trip EVER to Buenos Aires, Argentina. The cover had a Black woman on it and to see a Black woman on a book cover in a sea of white faces (I mean...it's Buenos Aires smh), I knew I had to look into it.

I ended up buying the book when I returned to the U.S. (this is another reason for me to return to Buenos Aires and get a local book), but that was almost 10 years ago!  I can't believe it took me this long to pick it up. I'm glad I did! Let's get into it.

SUMMARY
Ifemelu and Obinze area young and in love when they depart the military-rule Nigeria for the West. Ifemelu heads for America and Obinze ends up heading to London. They had both hoped to go to America together, but after 9/11, America is closed to Obinze and he begins his undocumented life in London.

Meanwhile, Ifemelu grapples what it means to be Black for the first time, living in America. Fifteen years later, the reunite in a newly democratic Nigeria and reginite their passion for their homeland--and each other.

MY THOUGHTS
I really enjoyed this book and honestly, found it hilarious. It must be different to read it as a Black person than a non-Black person because I could understand everything that Ifemelu was talking about in her blog and in her life. 

There were so many horrible reviews about how massive of a role race played in this novel. I'm sorry, did you read the synopsis? Two Nigerians head to the West. You really don't think race will play a role in their experiences abroad? Give me a break. 

It was a heartwarming and funny novel and Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie has such beautiful and poetic prose that it I flew through this book. Highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment