Tuesday, July 4

Servants of Allah by Sylviane Diouf

 

Hello my lovely readers!

Another day, another review.  This book was a bit more difficult for me to read. Let's get into it!

SYNOPSIS
While most know about the African slave trade that brought Africans to South America, the U.S. and the Caribbean, little is known about the faith of these people, particularly Black Muslims.

Most assume that the religion of the enslaved was absorbed into the new Christian milieu, but that's not the truth for Islam. Servants of Allah presents a history of African Muslim slaves, following them from Africa to the Americas. It shows how, even while enslaved, many Black Muslims managed to follow most of the precepts of their religion.

Islam did not survive in the Americas in its orthodox form, but its mark can be found in certain religions, traditions and artistic creations of people of African descent. Author Sylvian Diouf gives a voice to the Muslim slaves who have largely been ignored and the legacy of Islam.
MY THOUGHTS
There was great information in this book! I did not know that almost 25 percent of the slaves taken from West Africa were Muslims. Nor did I know precisely how different slavery was in Africa compared to the U.S. I have always hated the "Africans had slaves, Africans sold Africans to the white man," argument. This book puts to rest that stupid argument. 

American slavery was completely different and much crueler. In Africa, slaves were used as soldiers, administrators etc. Slaves were usually a product of war or criminals or someone who had to pay off a debt. Slaves and their masters even worked together and they lived WITH their owner's family and worked partly for themselves and the owner. 

They were well-fed, well-clothed and even ate dinner with their masters.  When they'd paid back their debt or finished serving, these now former slaves could re-enter society and still be respected (although they were lower class). It was deemed cruel and shameful to sell family members of slaves and it was something that didn't occur. Also, a very small percentage of slaveholders practiced whipping, but usually, there was no cruel punishment doled out to slaves. What I found most interesting was that slavery wasn't based on race or color like in the U.S.

This topic was something I was very interested in because when do we EVER hear about Muslim slaves? Never. 

Despite all the great information in this book, it was extremely hard for me to get through. It was way more academic than I was expecting and I couldn't really connect to it. It's not because it was academic, I've read plenty of academic texts, it felt a bit cold. The author did her research and it shows, but it there was no warmth to anything in the book.

But Naomi, it's a book about slavery, you really expect it to be warm and fuzzy?

Well, no, but I've read books about slavery that do a better job in teaching you about its horrors in an easily digestible, non-academic manner. What I was really looking for were more Muslim slave narratives. There were a few, but not many. It's still a good book, but just not for me. I think I'll donate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment