Thursday, August 10

Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston


Hello my lovely readers!

This was another re-read for me. I hadn't read this book since high school and this book, along with The Awakening are two books that I'll regularly (and happily) re-read in each decade of my life. Let's get into it!

SYNOPSIS
Independent and articulate, Janie Crawford sets out to be her own person which is unheard of for a Black woman in the 1930s. Janie's quest for identity take her through three marriages and into a journey back to her roots.
MY THOUGHTS
Zora Neale Hurston is a beautiful writer and I almost forgot how much I loved this book. I read it when I was just 16 and picked up on some of its themes, but not like I do now as a soon-to-be (tomorrow!) 34-year-old woman.

I feel like Janie never had a chance to know herself because she was always molded by her relationships. Her lack of relationship with her parents led to her being heavily molded, in my opinion by her grandmother. Then she was shaped and continued to search for herself through each man that she married. It wasn't until the end of the book, when she's in her 40s that I think she truly began to reflect on her independence and who she is as a woman.

There's so many themes in this book...feminism, marriage, domestic violence, etc., but it all works together to create such a fascinating book that only Ms. Zora could write.

No comments:

Post a Comment