Tuesday, August 1

The Man Who Lived Underground by Richard Wright

 
Hello my lovely readers!

When I saw that Richard Wright had a new book coming out in the Year of Our Lord 2021 you know I had to pick it up! It did not disappoint. Let's get into it.

SYNOPSIS
Fred Daniels, a black man, is picked up randomly by the police after a brutal murder in a Chicago neighborhood and taken to the local precinct where he is tortured until he confesses to a crime he didn't commit. After signing a confession, he escapes from the precinct and takes up residence in the sewers below the streets of Chicago.
MY THOUGHTS
Richard Wright's books always pack a punch. From the start, I was slapped in the face with the raw, grittiness of brutal police interrogation and corruption. 

I did have a hard time visualizing the sewer life of Fred because I was confused how the basements connected to the sewer....I still am! However, it was a great book! I just hateeeeeeee that Fred came back to the mainland. Coming back to the mainland with his knowledge is what ultimately led to his downfall, unfortunately.

Wright is one of the greatest storytellers and this novel along with its companion essay Memories of my Grandmother make for one stunning story.

No comments:

Post a Comment