Monday, July 10

Wild Rain by Beverly Jenkins

 
Hello my lovely readers!

Well I did something different....I decided to read a romance novel! Romance isn't really my genre, I've never cared for it (odd coming from a girl who was once OBSESSED with Nicholas Sparks), and I always found them pretty cheesy. 

The kind of romance that I do enjoy is the romance that is in the background of a story, like in Plum Bun or Americanah, so this was a departure because everyone knows Beverly Jenkins is the queen of Black romance. The plot interested me and I LOVE that it was all about two Black people just being in love. Let's get into it.

SYNOPSIS
The Civil War is over and Garrett, a reporter, has come to Wyoming to write a story on doctors for his Black newspaper back east.

He sets out to interview Colton Lee, as he thinks he'll be an interesting subject. Then he meets Colton's sister Spring. She runs her own ranch, wears pants instead of dresses, takes no mess from anyone and is the most fascinating woman he's ever met.

But Spring isn't looking for love, especially after a past like hers. However, their attraction grows and soon neither of them can deny it.
MY THOUGHTS
This was such an adorable book. Again, I've never been interested in romance or historical fiction, but I decided to step out of my comfort zone and I'm glad I did!

Jenkins really gave well-rounded Black characters who fall in love without any of the excess drama that's in a lot of today's books. It was simply clean, Black love. Of course, Spring had her issues as did Garrett, but they worked it out together and a romance grew from there and it was beautiful to see.

I definitely plan on reading more books by this author!

No comments:

Post a Comment